January 21, 2009

Recipe For A Happy 2009

Okay, I must admit that I totally ripped this idea off of It's All About Me's blog, though not totally, as someone sent me an identical e-mail this morning. But It's All About Me gets credit, 'cause that's the kinda girl I am (and besides, when I was in undergrad, our professors were constantly threatening us with sudden death - well, not actually sudden death, but with expulsion from the University, if we were caught plagiarizing, hence my strict adherence).

At this juncture in my life, I'm aware of the choices I make and how those choices are likely to have ramifications and/or consequences upon my life and those of my loved ones. I'm constantly seeking out new and better choices and decisions to make. Such as: head to Macy's on yesterday and use that coupon that's scheduled to expire today OR save the money? Another great example: eat the cookie(s) or abstain and enjoy a piece of fruit or?

As It's All About Me said it very eloquently, life's not all about food or exercise. That helps me as I desperately seek some semblence of a balanced life.

At any rate, here's the recipe for a GREAT NEW YEAR:

1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.

2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Talk to God (or a
friend) about what is going on in your life. Buy a lock if you have to.

3. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, 'My
purpose is to__________ today. I am thankful for______________.'

4. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.

5. Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.

6. Try to make at least three people smile each day.

7. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, Issues of
the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest
your energy in the positive present moment.

8. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like
a college kid with a maxed out charge card.

9. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

10. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

11. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

12. You are not so important that you have to win every argument. Agree
to disagree.

13. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.

14. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what
their journey is all about.

15. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

16. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years, will this really matter?'

17. Forgive everyone for everything.

18. What other people think of you is none of your business.

19. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

20. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch!

21. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

22. Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements:
I am thankful for__________. Today I accomplished:_________.

23. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.

24. When you are feeling down, start listing your many blessings. You'll be smiling before you know it.

January 2009 Gratitude Journal:
Thursday 1 January: Today I'm grateful for family and friends who are willing to make the long trek to my home to celebrate the New Year with us.
Friday 2 January: Today I'm grateful for the pretty light blue sweater I'm wearing thats bringing sunshine to a gloomy January day.
Saturday 3 January: Today I'm grateful for the love and laughter of my daughters - they really are my pride and joy.
Sunday 4 January: Today I'm grateful for God's everlasting mercy and grace. Without it, I shudder to think of where I'd be.
Monday 5 January: Today I'm grateful for weight loss and maintenance blogs that give me valuable information.
Tuesday 6 January: Today I'm grateful for good hand lotion. Constant hand washing and harsh soap have done a number on my skin.
Wednesday 7 January: Today I'm grateful for the anticipated arrival of Spring and the longer days and flowers it's sure to bring.
Thursday 8 January: Today I'm grateful for good health and knowing it will only improve as I continue my weight loss efforts.
Friday 9 January: Today I'm grateful for my mother and her love for me. Happy Birthday, Ma!
Saturday, 10 January: Today I'm grateful for tasty cheeseburgers from Ruby Tuesday.
Sunday, 11 January: Today I'm grateful for Marigold, and his awesome willingness to be the strong head of our household and father to our Flowers.
Monday, 12 January: Today I'm grateful for my new shiny jewel-colored bracelet off the clearance rack at Macy's. Just looking at it makes me happy.
Tuesday, 13 January: Today I'm grateful for increased clients at work. Can you say job security?
Wednesday, 14 January: Today I'm grateful for my iPod Shuffle. Though small, it has brought me many hours of musical satisfaction.
Thursday, 15 January: Today I'm grateful for progress of every kind: physical, emotional and social.
Friday, 16 January: Today I'm grateful for long-weekends. Lord knows I need it!
Saturday, 17 January: Today I'm grateful for long, leisurly breakfasts with my girls.
Sunday, 18 January: Today I'm grateful for cheap at-home date nights with my hubby, Marigold.
Monday, 19 January: Today I'm grateful for Dr. King's dedication and devotion to all Americans.
Tuesday, 20 January: Today I'm grateful that CHANGE HAS COME!
Wednesday, 21 January: Today I'm grateful that although it kinda feels like a Monday, in reality it's Wednesday and the week is half over already.

1 comment:

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

hey! thanks for reading and comments on my blog. of course you can add me to blog roll. :) i love your list of things to be grateful for!!! hell yes, im grateful for obama too -- he's pretty much the man! heart him. :)